June 21, 2022
Your Guide to Planning the Ultimate Virginia Wine Getaway
Summer is officially here and that means vacations, extended weekends and special excursions with friends and family. From planning your winery stops to setting up top-notch lodging and food experiences along the way, this guide will help elevate any Virginia Wine getaway.
Where to go
Virginia is home to over 300 wineries, 10 regions and 8 distinct AVAs. With so much to choose from, utilize the following resources to help find the perfect stops, all with the click of a button.
- Create an account on virginiawine.org
- Personalize and plot out the perfect itinerary
- Download the Virginia Wine App for on-the-go access and spontaneous trips
- Subscribe to our email list for news and updates
- Sign up for the Gold Medal Wine Trail for a taste of the best
- Request a Virginia Winery Guide to have in hand during your travels
Learn more about each of the regions, including the terroir, types of wines produced, nearby attractions and offerings, and what to expect during your stay, here.
What to eat
Great wine only gets better with great food. Find options for a heartier meal or a snack while you sip on Virginia’s finest. Featuring masterful pairings curated with local ingredients, you’ll find wineries with:
Throughout the summer, you’ll often find food trucks at weekend events for your casual enjoyment. If you’re looking to curate your own picnic or snack boards, many wineries will accommodate outside food. Be sure to check out the wineries’ website or call ahead to find out.
Where to stay
Whether you want to stay on property and wake up with the views of the vineyard, only steps away from your first glass, or venture out for a boutique, luxury inn in the midst of wine country, the options are endless.
Here’s a variety of on-site accommodations:
- Afton Mountain Vineyards Guest House & Cottages
- Albemarle Estate at Trump Winery
- Beliveau Estate Winery Manor House
- Bluemont Vineyard Cottages
- Burnley Vineyards
- Cardinal Point Winery
- Chisholm Vineyards at Adventure Farm
- Delfosse Vineyards & Winery Log Cabin
- Eastwood Farm and Winery
- Glass House Winery Bed and Breakfast
- Hope and Glory Inn at Dog And Oyster Vineyard
- Ingleside Vineyards Cottages
- Jefferson Vineyards
- Meriwether Springs Vineyard & Brewery Bed and Breakfast
- Mount Ida Farm & Vineyard
- The 1804 Inn at Barboursville
- The Farmhouse at Veritas Vineyards
- The Inn at Nicewonder Farm & Yurt Village
- The Inn at Stinson Vineyards
- The Suites at Prince Michel
- Wedmore Place at Williamsburg Winery
Other Virginia Wine Country-friendly places to stay:
- Red Fox Inn & Tavern
- Salamander Resort
- Boars Head Inn
- Mimslyn Inn
- L’auberge Provençale
- The Clifton Inn
- Oakhurst Inn
- Keswick Hall
- Goodstone Inn
- Chilton House Suites
What to do
Try something new– is there a winery or wine you’ve been dying to try? Fit in at least one new experience during your getaway.
Virginia produces wine from over 30 varieties. If you’re unsure where to start or are looking for something particular, check out this graphic.
Explore special Virginia Wine projects by venturing into a local shop and picking up a bottle or two. Tasting small batch productions and winemakers’ second labels will give you an inside taste of what experimentation looks like in the Commonwealth.
- Domaine Finot & King Family Vineyards Small Batch Series
- Jake Busching Wines
- Joy Ting Wines
- Lightwell Survey
- October 1 Vineyard
- Quartzwood Farm
- R.A.H Wine Co.
- Vino Dal Bosco – Gabriele Rausse Winery
Discover events through the summer here.
Take advantage of unique outdoor experiences offered at or through Virginia wineries.
- Kayaking to Chatham Vineyards
- Horseback riding through the valley
- Hiking in the Blue Ridge
- Bike to Upper Shirley Vineyards on the Virginia Capital Trail
- Disc Golf at Little Washington Winery
- Four-day retreats with yoga and hiking at Veritas Vineyards
Your next #vawine adventure awaits!
More Virginia Wine Stories
June 22, 2021
Plan your Dream Vacation in Virginia Wine Country
Summer is underway and vacation season is here! Now, more than ever, we all deserve to get away and relax. What better way to do that than sipping on local […]Read More
August 25, 2021
Virginia Wine Through the Regions
From rocky mountain slopes to sandy waterfront shores, Virginia is brimming with character—and the state’s vintners are harnessing their experimental spirit to uncover it. The state is home to over […]Read More
June 21, 2019
A Guide to Spending Summer in Virginia Wine Country
The official start of summer is here! Virginia Wine is the perfect complement to the warm weather and longer days that await you. Read along to be sure to make […]Read More